Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg


Hey everyone! Today I have an AWESOME book for you guys. It's by the author of The Lonely Hearts Club, Elizabeth Eulberg! You guys may have already seen or heard about Prom and Prejudice already, which I hope you have. If you haven't though, here's the description:

After winter break, the girls at the very prestigious Longbourn Academy become obsessed with the prom. Lizzie Bennet, who attends Longbourn on a scholarship, isn’t interested in designer dresses and expensive shoes, but her best friend, Jane, might be — especially now that Charles Bingley is back from a semester in London.
Lizzie is happy about her friend’s burgeoning romance but less than impressed by Charles’s friend, Will Darcy, who’s snobby and pretentious. Darcy doesn’t seem to like Lizzie either, but she assumes it’s because her family doesn’t have money. Clearly, Will Darcy is a pompous jerk — so why does Lizzie find herself drawn to him anyway?
Will Lizzie’s pride and Will’s prejudice keep them apart? Or are they a prom couple in the making? Whatever the result, Elizabeth Eulberg, author of The Lonely Hearts Club, has concocted a very funny, completely stylish delight for any season — prom or otherwise.

Okay, so I have a confession to make. I've never read Pride and Prejudice. I know, by hearing that, most of you probably want to punch me in the face right now (Please don't!). I know there is basically no excuse for it, but it was never brought to my attention until I started really getting into books. My mom never told me about it, my school never mentioned it, only until I started trying to push my way into the publishing world did I really start to understand just how good and loved Pride and Prejudice is.
But now that I've read Elizabeth's wonderful Prom and Prejudice and loved it, I'm gonna go get my hands on a copy of the original story, I promise! Now, while I can't tell you if this book successfully represents the original, I can tell you how awesome it is. (If you want to hear what someone who has read the original thinks, you can find another review here).
From the very first chapter, I immediately felt for Lizzie. I could already tell we were alike, and that her story would be one I couldn't put down. One thing I love about Elizabeth's writing is that while it is elegant and wonderful, it is also simple. She has a talent to make the reader jump into the story and want to stay there without having to be over extravagant or over descriptive. It's just right.
I definitely found myself drawn to Will Darcy, even in the beginning. As the story went on, I fell more in love with his character and also related even more to Lizzie. Even though I have not been taunted about wealth or scholarships, I do know how it feels to be the outsider, the one people taunt. Whether it be for my height, or just for the fun of it, I was taunted, just like Lizzie. Elizabeth brings to life these characters and their stories, and I was sad to see the book end.
It was a great, great second novel and I can't wait for the third!
If you're looking for a book with in depth characters, a wonderful story, a dash of classics, and humor, this book is for you!
Hope you guys enjoy and happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful review! :) So glad you liked it! Seriously if you want one of TWELVE copies of P&P you can have one! I buy new copies of it all the time. That and Wuthering Heights! <3

    ReplyDelete

Comments anyone?