Friday, May 7, 2010

Funday Friday! Featuring.... Kimberly Derting!


Today's Funday Friday is featuring Debut author Kimberly Derting! She was so nice when I e-mailed her so I was really excited to post this interview! Her book, The Body Finder, was the only book that ever made me cry! EVER. So, go read her book if you haven't! It's amazing! Here's the interview:

1. Where did you get the idea for The Body Finder?

"It was actually my husband who first said: “What if there was a boy who could find dead bodies?” (In his head it would be this great middle-grade adventure!) Of course, I had a different vision, and decided it should be a teen girl finding the dead bodies. And then she needed to have a love interest because, well, I'm a girl!"

2. Have you always been good at writing/ wanted to be a writer?

"I wanted to be so many things before becoming a writer. Just like most little girls, I wanted to be a veterinarian, a doctor, Princess Leia, and a Lady Trucker. Doesn't every little girl go through their Princess Leia and Lady Trucker phases??? It wasn't until 7th grade when I took a Journalism class that I fell in love with writing."

3. If you could work with any other author, who would it be?

"JK Rowling! I love the way she took a character like Harry Potter and built not just a world but an entire universe around him that everyone so easily accepts. Just say the word “muggle” and probably 90% of the people you say it to will know what you mean. So if you're friends with her, just let her know that I'm available any time!"

4. Are there any parts of your books that are based on events in your own life?

"Not really, although I sometimes steal little conversations and mannerisms from people I know (mostly from my kids and their friends), which is helpful since they’re teens and I write YA. Actually, in the sequel to The Body Finder, I put in a funny story my oldest daughter told me about her and her boyfriend. The best part is that he has no idea it's in there!"

5. How long did it take to find an agent/publish your book after finishing the manuscript?

"Okay, so excluding my brief agent representation when I was in my early twenties, things actually happened pretty quickly with The Body Finder. I went to a writer’s conference right after I finished TBF and met the agent who would sign me a few weeks later. After that, my agent started submitting within a month, and within another month we had offers from two publishers."

6. What advice would you give to people who "run out of creativity" when writing?

"Put your nose to the grindstone and just write through it. I don’t know who penned the phrase “you can’t edit a blank page” but it’s so appropriate. It’s better to write crap and fix it later, than to write nothing and wait for inspiration to strike. Inspiration is far too fickle!"

7. What's your favorite part of a book?

"Of any book? I need a good beginning to draw me in, but I LOVE a great ending, something that makes me go: WHOA! Oh, and the middle is pretty important too. And the cover. :)"

(Now for a couple fun questions)
8. Favorite song?

"Anything by Stevie Wonder (Oops, is my age showing???)"



9. If you were going to be stuck on a deserted island, which book, movie, food, and person(s) would you take?

"That would be a real toss-up between any book explaining how to build a boat out of bamboo and palm leaves and any member of my family who actually knows how to build a boat!! Can you tell that I really REALLY want to get off this island?"

10. Five of your favorite things?

"Well, aside from the obvious (my children…not that there are five of them!), here goes:

My laptop (with wireless, of course)
Books (duh!)
Tea (preferably served hot)
Dental Floss (I’m a bit of freak when it comes to my teeth)
A good bathrobe (the fluffier the better)"

Yay! There you have it everyone. I like Kim's idea with the book explaining how to get off the island.. It's surprising that I never thought of that.. Anyway! Hope you guys enjoyed the interview. I will have a review up tomorrow for you guys so make sure you look out for that! Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments anyone?