Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson


Hey guys! I just got back from Pittsburgh from meeting one of my favorite actors! I'm a teeny bit obsessed with the show Ghost Whisperer and I absolutely love Jim, who is the main character's husband. His character is just so, so sweet and romantic. I'm a sucker for a romantic guy, even if they're, um, fictional. So anyway, I met the actor, David Conrad, today and it was awesome! Photo!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
How awesome!!

Okay, time for the review. Today's book is The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. The description of this book is:

Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, bookworm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life—and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. Toby was Bailey's boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie's own. Joe is the new boy in town, a transplant from Paris whose nearly magical grin is matched only by his musical talent. For Lennie, they're the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can't collide without the whole wide world exploding.

I had heard of this book before I got it, and when I saw it in my package from Elizabeth Scott, I got really excited. Susane Colasanti had blurbed about it on her blog and said it was wonderful, so I figured it had to be good. I was not ready for how good though. Jandy's writing is truly beautiful. She has such great talent. This is the best form of writing I've read since Sarah Dessen. The story was very, very captivating and it was like you were there with the characters. This book almost made me cry several times but I'm just really good at not letting the tears fall. This book will make your heart break, swell, and break all over again. There are so many emotions in this book and the poetry throughout adds even more. I think I need to meet my own Joe Fontaine. Hopefully boys like him actually exist. I truly cannot wait to read Jandy's next book. I'm sure it will be just as great as her debut. If you're looking for something that will have a great impact on you, this one's for you. I definitely recommend this one to everyone out there. Happy Reading everyone and don't forget to enter the contest!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on meeting David that must have been awesome! I'm almost finished this book and I love it. And I agree that the writing is beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new layout! It's so cute! :D
    I've heard wonderful things about this book, so I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Everything about it has me eager to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adored it! I agree what you said about Sarah Dessen. This is the only of the only writing styles that can compeat with Sarah Dessen's beautiful words. I think this writing style was so beautiful is because Jandy Nelson is a poet.
    Loved it!
    - Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Sky is Everywhere was truly amazing. I totally get what you mean.
    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lennie was such an amazing character for someone so young. What got me was her relationship with her sister. Imagine a race horse - there's a companion pony leading that race horse to the starting gate. Lennie thinks of herself as that companion pony to the star. She's trying to find her way without her sister to lead the way.

    ReplyDelete

Comments anyone?