Friday, April 30, 2010

Funday Friday! Featuring.... Simone Elkeles!

Ahhhhh! I went this week without posting. I'm sorry! I probably wont be posting a lot until Tuesday because that is my last final. But then I have the whole summer to post so don't worry! Today we have one of my favorite authors, Simone Elkeles! Here's the interview. Enjoy!

1. Where did you get the idea for Perfect Chemistry? The How To Ruin Series?

"I base Perfect Chemistry off of Highland Park High School, which is near my house. It’s a high school that mirrors Fairfield. I wanted to explore what might happen when a boy and girl from different sides of town and a different socioeconomic status fall hard for each other.

The How to Ruin series is based off of my own experiences as an American teen going to Israel for the summer and interacting with Israelis. The exact things that happen to Amy are fiction, I’ll admit, but some things did actually happen to me. It’s so great writing fun, humorous novels like the How to Ruin series. Everywhere Amy goes in Israel I’ve been, even on the military base/boot camp!"

2. Have you always been good at writing/ wanted to be a writer?

"No. I hated reading as a teen and didn't like English class. I never even took a creative writing class, because that was an elective and I wouldn't have chosen it. I try and write books that I think I would have liked to read as a teen. It's awesome when I get email from teens who say they hate to read but love my books."

3. If you could work with any other author, who would it be?

"Oh, that is SUCH a hard question! I’m sure I’m missing a bunch. I guess I'd love to work with John Green, Alex Sanchez, Stephenie Meyer (although I think I'm too edgy for her so it probably wouldn't work), or Meg Cabot."

4. Are there any parts of your books that are based on events in your own life?

"Since Amy Nelson is the character most like me (although all my characters have aspects of me in them) the How to Ruin a Summer Vacation series has the most parts in it that are like my life. Everywhere Amy goes in the books, I’ve been (yes, I even went kayaking down the Jordan river and shot an M16 in a “fun” summer military boot camp I signed up for to know what it was like to be an Israeli soldier! Not an experience I want to repeat because I’m such a princess.)"

5. How long did it take to find an agent/publish your book after finishing the manuscript?

"It took me five years to get published. I started writing in 2000 and sold my first book in 2005 (it wasn’t released until 2006, but I signed the contract in 2005). It took me five years to get an agent, but she sold my book within two months."

6. What advice would you give to people who "run out of creativity" when writing?

"Keep writing and never give up. Shock the reader and shock yourself. Make yourself uncomfortable by putting your characters in impossible situations. It’ll make your book a better book, and you’ll tap into that creativity!"

7. What's your favorite part of a book?

"Writing THE END because finishing the book is such an accomplishment. It’s so surreal and wonderful to create a book from scratch!"

(Now for a couple fun questions)
8. Favorite song?

"True Companion by Marc Cohen"

9. If you were going to be stuck on a deserted island, which book, movie, food, and person(s) would you take?

"Book: Perfect Chemistry

Movie: She’s the Man

Food: pizza or sushi

Person: I’d need two: (apologies to my husband first) Alexander F. Rodriguez and Giancarlo Vidrio (the boys who played my heroes in my book trailer for Rules of Attraction) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhEx0kaUlrU
OR: JT from Survivor because he’s been through it a couple of times"

10. Five of your favorite things?

"My kids
Dogs
Books
My iPhone (I know this is obnoxious, but it’s true)
My computer (I wouldn’t be an author without it because I have horrendous handwriting)"


There it is everyone! The wonderful Simone Elkeles. I personally agree with her choice on which people to take, because have you seen that video? Those boys are smokin'! Anyway, if you love Simone's books or want to learn more about her, head on over to her website! Simoneelkeles.net! Hope you liked the interview everyone, and I promise i'll have a review in the next couple days! Thanks for still reading :)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!
    I LOVED Perfect Chemistry, and I can't wait till I get to devour Rules of Attraction. :)
    Love, Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of her books have been getting such great reviews. I really need to read something she's written.
    Good luck on thee final! :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments anyone?